HISTORY & MISSION
In April 1936, a group of employees met in Houston, Texas to discuss organizing a credit union that would cover TNO Railroad employees. An application was made to the Farm Credit Administration for a charter to operate a Federal Credit Union. Charter number 1353 was issued to The Southern Pacific General Stores Federal Credit Union, on May 1, 1936.
On October 1, 2005, SPCO Federal Credit Union merged with Missouri Pacific Houston Federal Credit Union. The benefit of this merger is that SPCO now offers membership to all Union Pacific Railroad employees.
PIA of Houston was chartered August 21, 1968, and served the Printing Industries of the Gulf Coast. The credit union started out with 48 members and one part-time employee. On January 18, 1973, the Board of Directors changed the name to Graphic Arts Credit Union. Due to this change, the credit union hired two full-time employees and began offering improved financial services to members. In addition, they could now offer credit union membership to any person who worked in the printing industry, within Harris County, Texas. In the years to come, Graphic Arts Credit Union added two more full-time employees and relocated to the 290 West and 610 North area. Again, they expanded service offering.
On March 1, 2010, SPCO Federal Credit Union and Graphic Arts Credit Union merged. They formed a united alliance to provide a wide-array of deposit, lending and electronic products and services.
Today, SPCO Credit Union is a full-service financial institution serving approximately 3,700 members.
To be the TRUSTED PARTNER in each member’s financial life.